Monday, October 19, 2015

Blog Assignment #3: 1922 Eugenicists Baltimore anthropometric study

http://histclo.com/essay/misc/eug/cou/us/meas/balt-as22.html

It felt like an odd day from the start.  Mom and dad wouldn't look me in the eye when they said I had to go see the doctor.  They just told me I'd get a prize if I didn't cause any trouble.  I yawned and rubbed my eyes as I wasn't used to being up this early in the morning on a Saturday.  Ralph and Brian from school mentioned having to see the doctor today as well.  When I asked them if they were sick, they both laughed and said they usually get sick during school days.

The streetcar was filled up by other boys my age, which led me to remove mom's arm from my shoulder.  Upon arriving to the doctor's office, the outside of the building looked more like a factory.  Mom and dad weren't sure where to go until they were met with a few men in suits.  They weren't dressed like doctors.  We entered a room filled with a seated group of boys along with their parents.  A few of the boys only had their moms seated next to them.  My parents looked uncomfortable as they sat straight up without saying much.  Whenever they spoke to the other moms and dads, they made sure to keep their voices low.  Even they didn't seem to know what we were doing here.  I was surprised to see Ralph and Brian and relieved to have somebody to talk to.

We began talking about what the doctor would do to us and thinking back to anything that would've led to our parents bringing us here in the first place.  After laughing at the idea of being sent here for some kind of boot camp, the adults told us to be quiet or else they'll make sure we get shots.  I never liked needles and the thought of one of those big men sticking a needle into my arm scared me silent.  After what felt like hours, the men came into the waiting room and handed each of us a pair of boots and a pair of thick blue overalls.  We were instructed to put them on and then follow the big men into an empty classroom.

The men didn't say much and mostly talked to each other in their deep voices.  I couldn't make out what they were saying but remember their stern voices telling us to line up against the chalkboard and that it'll all be over soon.  They seemed to like Brian the most as they made sure that he was the first one in the line.  They patted us on our heads and smiled as they took notes.  I couldn't make out what was written on the chalkboard as it appeared to be in a different language despite some words looking familiar.

I thought it was weird that we had to pull our shirts down as we stood against the chalkboard.  The vents offered a bit of warmth but it was too cold and a bit strange to be standing half naked in front of a class room.  It felt like I was living out one of my recurring nightmares.  We were eventually allowed to put our normal clothes back on, although I did like how the boots fit.  It was odd seeing so many of the adults hug their boys once we made our way back to the waiting room.  Dad nodded and said we'll talk when we get home.  Mom kept checking my body for any kind of bruises but I told her I was fine.  Ralph, Brain and I said our goodbyes as we got back on the streetcar and made our way home.  When we got home, mom baked some of the best cookies that day and dad even gave me an extra glass of milk.  They told me they weren't sure if I had to return but that I did a great job.  Yeah, I guess I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment