Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Beach Chair

I could smell her perfume as she entered the classroom 8 minutes late.  Class began on a blistering Sunday morning at the church where it all began.  I met her a few years back and I don't think I could ever forget the words, "She has a cheating bible."  Those were the words I uttered after she had gotten a question right in class while the rest of us were scolded for wearing blank faces.  It was the first time I made her laugh.  Soon after I'd find myself practicing punch lines in front of the mirror hoping I could grab her attention long enough for her to notice how great I was.  Or at least how great thought I was. 

She always sat behind me during bible study.  My nerves arose whenever she dipped her toes into my immediate area.  The closer she was, the more difficult it was to remain still.  I'd shake my foot left and right as it sat on the wooden floor.  I'd toy with my sideburns and found myself clearing my throat more than usual.  Today will be the day I force her smile, I thought.  That thought lasted for more than year. 

I hadn't been in church since early Spring and we were in the middle of Winter, which only reminded me of her impending birthday.  The distance between the two of us made me wonder if she was as special as I initially thought.  She said all the right things when she declined my offer.  She said it was inappropriate for members to date.  I thought I was golden until the realization that I was no longer invincible. 

I could smell her perfume from behind me but this time it didn't sting as much as it used to.  The anger inside me was long gone.  Her runny nose had my undivided attention.  I could only stare at my instructor's lips move up and down but all I heard were her sinuses acting up.  Her voice was as clear as day even when she couldn't find the right words to say.  Then, somebody swung open the side door, hitting my leg in the process.  I had to move my seat and the only available one was beside her.

You hold your head up high and take that seat, I thought.  I sat down and immediately sensed her discomfort upon realizing how close the two chairs actually were.  I could feel her arm leaning against mine followed by a feeling of fulfillment.  I couldn't move even if I wanted to.  All of a sudden I found myself sitting on a beach chair enjoying the sound of waves colliding.  I could've sat there all night. 

The instructor had other plans as he picked on me to answer a question I could hardly understand.  Without thinking I turned to my right and asked her if she could help translate the question.  I nodded my head like a young fool as she spoke.  Her eyes took me to places I never knew existed.  The ability to share the same room was enough for me to keep showing up.  I answered the instructor's question and proceeded to return to my beach chair until the clock struck 12 and it was time to head to the temple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment